TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Both myself and another tenant in a 3 family private

Customer Question

Both myself and another tenant in a 3 family private dwelling in NJ have had items moved, major appliances used, and items missing from our apartments. We suspect one of the landlords (mother/son) who is a 86 yr old woman. We do not want to upset an elderly person so we chose not to confront her; especially since we do not have proof. We are setting up an in-home security camera in our apartments. If we record her on video in our apartments without permission what do we do?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

If you catch the landlord in your apartment without permission, then I would take the video to the police and let them know that (1) you caught your landlord in your apartment without permission, and (2) you noticed things missing in the past (which is why you set up the video camera). The police may investigate further, and if they interview the landlord, perhaps put a scare in her such that she doesn't do it again. After all, unless the landlord has your permission or is dealing with a legitimate issue regarding the property, then she is trespassing.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.