How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 7305
Experience:  Attorney 35 years extensive and active real estate practice; represents both landlords and tenants
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The real estate owner of my rent unit has jacked up my rent

Customer Question

the real estate owner of my rent unit has jacked up my rent atleast $1,065 since I moved into the rental unit and has not done any improvements since the last tenants moved out. Between last October and earlier in March there wasn't any tenant living on first floor below me and in order for me to get any winter heat the other unit had to be heated along with my own. Why should I have to fill in for the water boiling gas heat loss to the real estate agents cost? The new tenants that moved in in March are paying the same as I did when I moved in and yet the moved in with new carpet, new vynal flooring, new kitchen cabinets, new bathroom sink, cabinets and tiles of which I got nothing new and am still stuck paying more than them and others who have some even lived here longer than myself. How can I get my rights of improvements done?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a written lease? Unless you have the right to receive improvements to your unit formally stated in your lease, then you are at the mercy of the landlord in that regard. There is no legal right to receive the same improvements that another tenant has. Also, unless your rent is fixed by the terms of the lease, you are a month to month tenant and your rent can be increased every thirty days. You have the right to terminate the lease and move out at the end of any thirty day period. If you like the basic unit and wish to stay, I suggest that you work out a new one year lease with the landlord in which the rent is stabilized and he agrees to install necessary improvements. If he refuses, then you can always find a landlord who will accommodate the needs of a good tenant.

I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From your answer it looks to me like you won't be able to respond / answer my needs. I am still in the seven day free trial so I want to dismiss my sign on and get my $34.00 fee returned.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions