Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I rented an apartment and found out from my neighbors that

Customer Question
there is no working heat...
I rented an apartment and found out from my neighbors that there is no working heat. It has been inoperable for months prior to me moving in. The owner and property manager must have known but are acting clueless. Does this violate my lease so that I may be able to get out of it? If I can't get out of my lease, what are my options? The previous tenants ended up moving out due to this issue so I am not convinced that the property manager is going to act according to the law. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/7/2015
Lawyer: Irwin Law, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

Providing adequate heat is certainly a requirement for a rental property. It is now Sept 7, and I would say that if the management has not fixed the old furnace or installed a new one by Sept. 30, (or by at least when it gets cold enough to need one) you will have grounds to terminate your lease. Send both the owner and manager a written notice that you will do so and tell them that you had the furnace inspected.

I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney