How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 102597
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have good renters and a signed lease--the landlord next

Customer Question

I have good renters and a signed lease--the landlord next door has rented to (real) low life's who sit on the front porch and drink 24/7, play loud music 24/7, and harass them every chance they get--if my tenants move out I would (being a decent person) refund their deposit and wave the lease--do I have a right to sue the neighbor house's landlord?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am very sorry to hear about this situation. Likely, one cannot sue the landlord. The landlord does not have to have a "minimal standard" for their tenants, and, they are not responsible for their tenant's actions. Ergo, I am sorry to say that such a case would be very weak, at best.

However, any future tenants (of yours) can likely sue the other tenants for nuisance if they wanted to, or at least threaten to do so. The elements of a claim of nuisance are an intentional, negligent, or unreasonably dangerous activity resulting in the unreasonable and substantial interference with a plaintiff's use and enjoyment of her property. Public Service Co. of Colorado v. Van Wyk, 27 P. 3d 377 - Colo: Supreme Court 2001.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your answer--How ever I did not authorize, nor do I want, a continuing, ongoing relationship that would have me paying you each month--I did not authorize that nor will I be part of such an arrangement--however, should I need a legal answer at some point in the future I will be happy to contact you
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.

I will let customer support know to ensure that there is no subscription service. All the best.