Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

I have a question. Yesterday i went into my leasing office

Customer Question

Good Morning,
So I have a question. Yesterday i went into my leasing office to speak with the assistant property manager about running my credit again to get a lower security deposit. She stated "let take a look and see what we can do". So i said ok. As we were looking over my paperwork she noticed that an entry was done wrong on there end. Pretty much when i moved in i paid a security deposit of 590 so my first initial payment was for 829 for partial rent and 590 for security deposit. so the upcoming month when i logged in to pay my rent it said my balance was 419 so thats the payment i made i didnt research it and think nothing of it. SO here it is august going into september they discovered an issue for march meaning the accounting lady didnt round up. So should i still have to pay months later if they made an error on there end?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, and we get this question all the time, when a business you are dealing with makes an accounting error or mistake and they find it, you are still liable to make proper payments. To not hold you liable to pay the difference based on their mistake would be considered in court what they call "unjust enrichment" because you received the service you agreed to pay a specific price for at less of a cost because of a mistake by the business.

So, I am afraid that if they discovered a mistake, you will remain liable for making the payments owed.