How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 19326
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in illinois my landlord lives in arkansas i usually

Customer Question

I live in illinois my landlord lives in arkansas i usually deposit the rent into her bank account. i am late on rent today i recieved notice to appear in court for much more than rent it also includes a security deposit that was never asked for when i moved in 4 years ago. i have the rent money should i deposit it and then go to court? Or should i not deposit it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Deposit it and then go to Court and ask the Court to dismiss the case because you have paid your rent and Security Deposit was not required. That you moved in four years ago and the Landlord did not ask for Security Deposit and has never asked for it until the Court case. If you have rental agreement that shows this, that Security Deposit was not required, bring it to the Court.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions