How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 12369
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I co signed on a lease daughter to rent a house...she has

Customer Question

I co signed on a lease for my daughter to rent a house...she has now defaulted and they have sent me to collections for abnormal wear and tare for the amount of last month's rent and repair costs of 4950.00.
Is this a real mark on my credi?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Unfortunately, if this gets entered on your credit report, then it will cause a bit of damage. That's not to say that your credit will be devastated, but if you intend to get a loan in the near future, then it could cause your interest rate to be higher, and some lenders may even refuse to give you credit. In addition, you could be sued for the $4950, plus attorneys fees, etc. If that happens, and the creditor gets a judgment against you, then it could take collection action against you such as a wage garnishment, bank garnishment, or property lien. Accordingly, if I were in your shoes, I would attempt to settle.

Does this answer your question? If so, then please provide positive feedback. If not, then feel free to ask for clarification.