Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

A friend of mine asked me to find s home dog She called

Customer Question
Hi A friend of mine asked...
Hi
A friend of mine asked me to find s home for her dog
She called multiple times
We found s new home for the dog
She brought all the dogs clothes, dishes, bedding, leashes
She now has been calling and threatening - she wants the dog back
We live in PA
Does the woman she gave the dog to have to return it?
I don't have the dog, the owner came to my house and gave it to the new owner
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Do you have an answer
8/25/2015
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago

Thank you for your post. I am a licensed Pennsylvania professional and will do my best to answer your concerns.

The person who has the dog has no legal obligation to return it. Once the property is given to another (and a dog is property), there is no ability to take that property back UNLESS the new owner chooses to return the dog back. If that does not take place, the original owner is unfortunately out of luck because once something is 'gifted' it cannot be ungifted...and this was a gift if she did not receive any money or compensation for the dog. She is free to try to call and threaten but it won't work...plus, the other owner can now demand that she cease and desist, or she can pursue her for harassment.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney