How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 117438
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm calling friend who is at her wits end in trying to

Customer Question

good afternoon, I'm calling for a friend who is at her wits end in trying to evict an ex friend from her apartment legally.she resides in NYC and the "freeloader" comes and goes as he wants leaving his belonging strewn all ove her luxury apartment.he has
not been staying there for over 30 days as per NYS,which i would requirer to tenant court...i feel see should pack his belongs in boxes and than storage and than sue for the cost.. Am iI off on that thinking??
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, if he has been a transient guest and not there more than 30 days, she can have the police remove him for trespassing if he will not leave. She can pack his belongings and if he will not take him, she needs to inform him in writing she will place them in storage at his costs and then sue in small claims for the expenses. You are correct, since he has not been there 30 days, he is a transient guest and can be removed and if he refuses he could be arrested for trespassing.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions