Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I have a tenants right problem in the apartment community

Customer Question

i have a tenants right problem in the apartment community where i live. is there a lawyer that can help me? the highland apartments is changing their lease rules from smokers to non-smoking. i am a smoker, never heavy one, but on the bottom of their letter which stated that smokers who want to continue smoking will need to move out at the lease expiration date, or get treatment. i am disabled with several physical problems, and moved here last sept 2014 from loosing a home with SSA and took one year to pack and locate a place to live. so i have already spoken to my doctor and medication is here for me to begin treatment for quitting smoking. management called me today, tells me i cannot sign a 12-month lease, only month to month for 3 months. i told them they are discriminating against me, and i had originally told them i was going to sign up 12-month lease, before this new rule is going into effect. when i said i might talk with an attorney, he said its not covered under civil rights. so am i suppose to live worrying that i have no home, unless i am successful in 3 months of terminating smoking, can they evict me for not signing month to month, when i am uptodate with rent payments? in that letter, nothing was mentioned of only staying for 3-months after treatment either! i need legal help, please somebody help me!
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I will try to help but please be advised that we cannot represent you off-site. I can explain the law and whether or not they are acting within their rights. Would that suffice?