How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 57317
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

California Tenant no renters insurance but landlord has

Customer Question

California Tenant no renters insurance but landlord has policy. A water supply line broke while we were away and flooded the entire downstairs of the condo I rent along with flooding the adjoining unit. Landlord was away and not answering the calls from either tenant and water was turned off but volume required Servpro come out to remove water. They responded and removed pad and carpet and cleared standing water. Next day blowing units brought into dry out condo for next 5 days they ran 24/7 on my electric bill. Landlord has not responded to questions about where are we supposed to live and how I am supposed to pay for accommodations for us and how the rent is affected. What will the insurance company cover as far as loss of rents and how do I go about being reimbursed and for what can I be reimbursed for. I don't want to be unfair but we cannot stay there as the flooring has all been removed and the bottom of all drywall cut back to about 1.5 feet from slab. HELP!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello, what kind of policy does landlord have and is there an unmet deductible?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He will not advise and I do not know.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
Typically owner has a standard policy with 1 million coverage.
Deductible varies on premium but once met insurer should cover provided owner timely files a claim under the policy.
If owner fails to he may be liable personally. I tried to expedite your question. kindly click on a rating of OK or higher for the answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You didn't advise what I costs that I would be reimbursed for. I don't know if I can stay in a hotel and take it off rent. What about having to eat out because hotels have no kitchen. Extra expense because of electrical bill being higher due to the equipment being used to dry out the rental unit. What can I expect to be reimbursed for as far as expenses associated with not being able to live in my rented unit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Now my landlord says I can move back in because it is dry but the place isn't in the same condition that it was when I rented it so how does that work. Can I deduct more than the days rent amount for each day the repairs are not complete or only deduct the days rent for each day the repairs are not complete?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
You should be covered for housing, meals and replacement for damaged personal property.
You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! and are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or higher.