How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 29985
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 16 year old son was given heroine by a drug dealer living

Customer Question

my 16 year old son was given heroine by a drug dealer living in my apartment complex.ive had to put my son in rehab with no insurance. i told the leasing office a month prior that a dealer was living behind me, and a month later my son became hooked on heroine supplied by the dealer in our apartment complex that the leasing office knew about. the dealer is 20 but lives with parents. do i have a claim for damages against the apartment complex and the parents of dealer?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
The apartment complex, I'm sorry to say, has no legal obligation to remove drug dealers or other criminals from rental property. They have the ability to evict someone who is using their leased property for illegal purposes, like a drug house, but they aren't required to protect third parties from someone's criminal conduct. So there is no cause of action against the apartment complex.
Similarly, parents are not legally responsible for the actions of their adult children. You could only sue them if you had evidence that they were assisting or helping their son in some way—like, they're helping him get and distribute drugs. In that scenario, then there's a conspiracy with their son, and all members of a conspiracy can be held responsible for damage that is caused. Otherwise, your only cause of action is against the dealer who I sincerely ***** ***** already been arrested.
Some parents will pay a judgment against their child as a way to help them out, but it's not legally required.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.