How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 118174
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got bed bugs in my apartment, but the land lord didn't supply

Customer Question

I got bed bugs in my apartment, but the land lord didn't supply me a safe place to live in.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the landlord did not make your premises habitable or provide for you to stay elsewhere while your premises was being cleaned, then you have a right to sue them for the damages. You could sue them for the medical care and pain and suffering you experienced from the bites as they failed to provide you a reduction in rent or pay for you to rent somewhere else while they cleaned the apartment.
You would need to file suit in small claims court and you do not need an attorney to do so and you can recover your damages from the landlord. You can also sue for costs of you to live elsewhere until they clear the apartment out.
Furthermore, you need to file a complaint with the local building inspector and the local health inspector as well, because they will come and inspect the property and cite the landlord for violations and make them clean up the premises and that will help your suit in small claims court.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
If you have further questions, please use reply.