Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I signed a lease agreement electronically and paid a deposit

Customer Question
on a house that I...
I signed a lease agreement electronically and paid a deposit on a house that I only saw pictures of, and didn't see the location. Now that I have seen the property it will not work because of the location is to far from my job, and there is no fence in the back yard to keep m 3 yr. safe. Landlord will not provide one, and I thought I could afford to do it, but do to relocating cannot afford too. The lease is for 1 yr. rent $1200. Will pay on move in date. W/$500. Paid Deposit but we have not taken possession of the property until August 17th. I have spoken to the property management and they said I can only break the lease if they keep my deposit, and I pay them a months rent. Is there any other way. I can't afford to lose $1700.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
7/30/2015
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LandlordTenantAnswer
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The offer which the management offered is actually a good deal, to release you. I say this because if you fail to take possession and move in, they could sue you for damages suffered and any rent owed, until they can find a new tenant to take possession, which could take some time and the cost could be more then what they are seeking now. If the landlord misrepresented the home or location, you could have a legal basis to back out. However, if this was something which you discovered after the fact and the landlord is providing exactly what was represented, then the lease would be legally binding and you could not just walk away. I completely understand what you are dealing with but prior to signing the lease, these issues needed to be addressed and looked into. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney