Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

Kwame is selling this home that I picked 8years ago. He said

Customer Question
Kwame is selling this home...
Kwame is selling this home that I picked 8years ago. He said when it sells he would give me $10,000. And now he is trying to evict me from this house . I picked the home and he put my name on it when it closed 8 years ago . I never paid any rent because of my son
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
7/30/2015
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
If your name is ***** ***** title, your son cannot evict you. You are a partial owner of the property and have the same rights to live there that he does. You can get a copy of the deed, and if he sues for eviction, show it to the judge. The case should be dismissed, because you cannot be a tenant in your own house.
He also cannot sell the property without your consent. What you can do is offer to buy him out at a price the two of you agree is fair. If you cannot agree, you can go to court - legally, joint owners of a property are each entitled to 50% of the proceeds when the house sells, unless there is an agreement that says otherwise. It is not relevant who has been paying the mortgage or other expenses - you each get half. If you cannot afford to buy your son out, the judge will order the property sold and the proceeds from the sale split 50/50. Keep that in mind when trying to figure out if you want to buy him out and what you're willing to pay.
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney