Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I got evicted from our apartment because of lack of renters insurance and they turned the

Customer Question
water off without any notification...
I got evicted from our apartment because of lack of renters insurance and they turned the water off without any notification, therefore our apartment flooded and I had a slip and fall in the same apartment as a result of there negligent, I believe the eviction was a lash out because I was threaten to sue the apartment complex
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
7/29/2015
Lawyer: Christopher B, Esq, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Christopher B, Esq
Thank you for your question. Why did the landlord turn of the water and did they turn off other utilities? Did you file anything before or request any remedies from the landlord before your eviction? If so, how long before the eviction?
The water situation happened in dec 2014. No they only turned off the water. The slip and fall happened jan 2014. I told them I was working in getting better with the flip and fall, because of the slip and fall I dislocated my right shoulder and had to go to therapy for 11 months, I have over 15K worth of medical expenses, that I was going to bill them far, but I am still trying to retain an attorney, and I instructed them abut it, before the water incident. I requested payment for my medical bills, it was in December of the same year, couple days after I had a conversation with the landlord, then the incident with the water happened.
Why did they turn off the water? Was it to make repairs?
I think so...there wasn't any sign posted about the water will be turn off, I am assuming it was because if repairs but I am not sure.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. It is a “retaliatory action” for a residential landlord: 1) To threaten to evict a tenant; 2) To file a court action to evict a tenant; 3) To increase a tenant’s rent; 4) To decrease services provided to a tenant; or 5) To terminate a periodic tenancy (eg.- month-to-month lease).For any of the following reasons: 1) Because the tenant or someone acting on the tenant's behalf complains about an alleged violation of lease or law, or a dangerous housing condition; 2) Because the tenant or the tenant's agent has sued or participated in a lawsuit against the landlord; or 3) Because the tenant has participated in any tenants' organization.The landlord’s “retaliatory action” is prohibited if: 1) The landlord’s reason for retaliation occurred less than 6 months earlier; and 2) The tenant is current on rent; and 3) In a month-to-month or year-to-year tenancy, a court must not have entered against the tenant more than 3 judgments for unpaid rent in the previous 12 months; or 4) In a weekly tenancy, a court must not have entered against the tenant more than 5 judgments for unpaid rent in the previous 12 months; or 5) Where the tenant has lived in the home for 6 months or less, a court must not have entered against the tenant 3 judgments of possession for unpaid rent.A tenant may respond to his/her landlord’s retaliatory action in one of two ways: by raising the retaliation as a defense against the landlord’s court action to evict the tenant; or by filing a court claim seeking monetary compensation for damages resulting from the landlord’s retaliatory action. If a court decides that the landlord committed a prohibited retaliatory action, then that court may order the landlord to pay compensation of an amount of money equivalent to as much as three months of rent, plus reasonable attorney fees and court costs. If this fits your situation then you you can use retaliation as a defense of your eviction. Other than that, there was no wrongful shutting off of your utilities but the slip and fall could have caused your landlord to evict you wrongly. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.)
I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please do not forget to positively rate my answer (There should be smiley faces or a 1-5 ranking on my answer. I would appreciate a good or excellent rating) as this is the only way that I am compensated for my work.
Any chance for a positive rating? I would like you to be satisfied with my service and need to know what else I can do to earn a positive rating. The site does not compensate me for my work without your feedback.
Do you need help with the rating system? We expect to answer these questions with the expectation that our work will be compensated by the site. Without your positive rating that won't happen, so if you could take the extra step and help me out, I would appreciate it. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.
I need to sue my apartment complex to clear my name from the eviction notice system, how cn I do that, md can you help?
You need to hire a local attorney. You can find one on martindale.com or lawyers.com and they include reviews, etc so you can find the right attorney for you. The site prohibits us from representing and recommending specific attorneys. You would need to look for real estate attorneys or attorneys specializing in landlord tenant.
Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as the site will not credit me with the answer without your rating.
I see you have reviewed my answer, please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.
Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney