How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 102133
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am engaged to an Israeli citizen. We would like to marry

Customer Question

I am engaged to an Israeli citizen. We would like to marry in a civil ceremony either in Montgomery or Philadelphia County during August. We will have a more formal ceremony in the spring when her children are able to come.
She has a passport, but no social security card. Please confirm that that is sufficient identification. However, one thing about her passport: she was born in Yemen which does not keep birth records (or did not in 1946, the year of her birth). The Israeli government handles such situations by showing her birthdate as 00/00/1946. Will that pose a problem?
How to handle?
Also, she has been divorced for many years. I'm not sure how she would obtain a divorce decree at this point. Is there a way around this? Or, if not, can she have one emailed to her? or does it need to be an original copy from the issuing authority?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Brian Ampolsk
Submitted: 1 year ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.So your question is basically - whether or not her documents would be enough to have a marriage license issued. Correct?This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct. Israeli passport with the anomalous birthdate, plus divorce decree. I have no idea how long that will take to receive.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.Apologies - one more thing: " We would like to marry in a civil ceremony either in Montgomery or Philadelphia County"What state would this be in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.DOBWhat someone in her situation wants to do is to have her Israeli Passport and the US visa (visas are required for citizens of another country for PA), and also a letter from the closest Israeli consulate that explains the situation (just like you explained it above). She may also want some secondary documents that confirm her identity and any DOB that she has been using. If they are in Hebrew, she would need them translated into English using a certified translator. There is an element of subjective decision making by the clerk here, and they likely will have to talk to their supervisor before making a decision.Divorce DecreeShe will need a certified (raised seal - apostilled) copy of her Israeli decree in Hebrew, translated into English by a certified translator. Israeli keeps very good records, so she can use an Israeli attorney to get a copy within days if not weeks and sent to her via mail.So this is all doable, but it may take a few days or weeks to get everything ready.Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions