Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in Landlord-Tenant Law.
26296561

Our NYC landlord is not being amiable in letting us out of

Customer Question

Our NYC landlord is not being amiable in letting us out of our lease of our rent stabilized apartment. What are our legal options?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am not permitted to tell JustAnswer.com what to do in their specific situation or list all of the legal rights that might potential apply in any specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.
I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I get out of my NYC rent stabilized apartment lease?
Thank you for your follow up.A lease is a legally binding contract.What are your legal basis for getting out early?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is what I was asking you...
Unfortunately, a lease is a legally binding contract, so unless the written lease allows some type of an early termination or unless the landlord is in the breach of the lease or landlord consents to end the lease earlier, I am afraid there would generally not be any legal options to end the lease earlier and not be responsible for the remainder of the rent payments, especially when the lease is for the rent stabilized apartment, which can be subject to further restrictions when it comes to finding a new tenant.I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
Thank you.
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.Thank you.