barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I have a few- 1) If the first anniversary of her move in

Customer Question

I have a few- 1) If the first anniversary of her move in date was 8/8/14, I can raise her rent 3% as per RSO in Los Angeles. Is there a way I do that? Just write her a letter and have the first 15 days of the month be at the old rate then introduce the
new rate going forward? 2) Do I have to reimburse her for cat boarding and time she spent texting me at work as well as the time she wants to be on hand at home for the cleaning service or are those her choices? 3) We had heated words on the phone last night
after she accused me of knowing of said rodent problem when I rented to her last year. I said if she was so unhappy she should move out- I didn't care as I was selling in September because she was a monster. She claims to have called housing on me but I have
not violated any laws by that, have i? Fireworks in LA! Leslie
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
.
.
""1) If the first anniversary of her move in date was 8/8/14, I can raise her rent 3% as per RSO in Los Angeles. Is there a way I do that? Just write her a letter and have the first 15 days of the month be at the old rate then introduce the new rate going forward?""
.
To raise the rent, the landlord must serve the tenant(s) with a written 30-day notice for rent increases that are less than 10% of the tenant's rent (35 days if the notice is mailed), or a 60-day notice (65 days if mailed) for rent increases that are 10% or more of the tenant's lowest rent within the preceding 12-month period.
.
So you send her a 30 day notice that states effective 30 days from the date of the letter, the rent goes up. Since her lease expires, 8/8/15 she would be under an expired lease after that so if you gave her notice 7/15/15 the increase would take effect 8/15/15 and she would pay half a month at the old rate and half a month at the new rate.
.
.
""2) Do I have to reimburse her for cat boarding and time she spent texting me at work as well as the time she wants to be on hand at home for the cleaning service or are those her choices?""
.
.
No, if she wants to be there, that is on her dime. And you only have to pay for cat boarding if it is necessary to remove it while any cleanup occurs. If not, then you aren't liable for it.
.
.
""3) We had heated words on the phone last night after she accused me of knowing of said rodent problem when I rented to her last year. I said if she was so unhappy she should move out- I didn't care as I was selling in September because she was a monster. She claims to have called housing on me but I have not violated any laws by that, have i?""
.
.
Based on your comments, I don't see any laws that were broken here and if you took immediate action to address the problem as soon as you were notified, then she has no legitimate complaint.
.
Having been a landlord myself for over 26 years, I can tell you that some tenants are just a nitemare and the quicker you can get them out the better..
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for your kind words. She is just a miserable passive aggressive woman with nothing better to do that nit pick. I have made EVERY adjustment for a year to make her happy so now it has escalated to this...Thanks again and cheers! I will take care of my Mom in August who is having knee surgery and come back and sell in September.Here's to a quick sale!
L
Yep, I agree landlording can be a frustrating experience when you have somebody who is just a sour human being and angry at the world.
.
And yes, fingers crossed for a quick sale so she can be someone else's problem.
.
.
thanks