Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
7286322

I rent an apartment since 11 years, at July 15/2015 a new owner

Customer Question

I rent an apartment since 11 years, at July 15/2015 a new owner take place. Did they have the right to ask all tenant of the 40 building to go out? sorry for my bad English..I'm French lady 73 years old
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
Je suis désolé de lear sur votre situation. Pouvez-vous s'il vous plaît me dire si vous avez actuellement un contrat de bail , ou , vous êtes sur un mois en mois verbale louer ?
Si vous êtes sur un bail verbal, alors que vous avez à la fois avoir un contrat de location , et si oui, at-elle avoir une clause de renouvellement automatique ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I renew my rent every year since 11 years
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
Okay, I understand then, that this is a year lease which is RENEWED every year.
Did they have the right to ask all tenant of the 40 building to go out?
Yes.
Or rather, they do, once the tenant's lease ends.
The new owner steps into the shoes of the old owner as the landlord, with the same duties and rights. Just like the new landlord did not have to renew the lease, the new landlord does not have to do so, either.
So they cannot simply make every one leave arbitrarily. However, they can decide NOT TO RENEW the lease with each tenant, which effectively ens the tenancy for tenants one by one.
Merci.
Ok, je comprends donc que cela est un bail de l'année qui est renouvelée chaque année.
Ont-ils le droit de demander à tous les locataires de l'immeuble 40 de sortir?
Oui.
Ou plutôt, ils le font, une fois le bail du locataire se termine.
Le nouveau propriétaire prend la place de l'ancien propriétaire que le propriétaire, avec les mêmes droits et devoirs. Tout comme le nouveau propriétaire n'a pas eu à renouveler le bail, le nouveau propriétaire n'a pas à le faire, que ce soit.
Donc, ils ne peuvent pas tout simplement faire tout un laisser arbitrairement. Cependant, ils peuvent décider de ne pas renouveler le bail avec chaque locataire, qui ens efficacement le bail pour les locataires, un par un.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.