Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I'm new to Pennsylvania. I rented the second floor

Customer Question

I'm new to Pennsylvania. I rented the second floor apartment, not a room, in a private house upstairs, and sealed off from the homeowner. It is strictly my name on the lease, I have so far been compliant with deposit, rent, and criminal background check.
The owner, Joan, said at anytime, (third party witness), to help with rent, and to live life as my own as a home, I MAY have a Second person. Roommate, love interest, etc., yet Noone suits her liking, even though yes, it is her home, she runs a check on everyone,
again my lease, and if you ran a stop sign in 1989, you can't live here, that was ORIGINALLY my complaint and question about discrimination. This past Friday, our local probation department responded to my ad for roommate wanted because there was a troubled
man with some DWI's. Much to my delight, Joan allowed him to move in on a visit basis until probation confirms he is alcohol free and his references check our, but she didn't promise, pulling me aside and saying she wasn't happy. THE REAL PROBLEM. since 'Elliot'
has been here, he have bonded and became good friends. It would destroy me if Joan says no. Therefore, the question legally, my lease, my money, CAN Joan say no. Can I threaten her with both discrimination on the original disapproval, and secondly, can I bring
her to court for emotional turmoil for taking my new love interest away?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
Are you under a written lease contract for a fixed term?
.
If so, is there any restriction in the lease as to the number of occupants of the apartment?
.
Do you have a way to access your dwelling without going through the owner's house?
.
Can you explain what illegal discrimination you feel the landlord is engaging in?
.
.
thanks