Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

The manager openly admits to having the bugs before we came

Customer Question

the manager openly admits to having the bugs before we came every room is affected they keep renting them before they get rid of them and yes ive paid the first month by the month but trying to leave but lack of money keeps me here so I only paid a week
so how should I get all my money back ask him? and if he says no then what?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Are you wanting to start a new question? If you are, could you please positively rate my previous question. If you aren't, please reply on that thread. Just let me know and I will continue to respond to your questions. I just didn't want to start a new question if you didn't mean to and to take care of the previous question before we started this one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
u didn't answer first question
That was my point, respond to the previous question, instead of opening a new one. I never like to have 2 questions from the same customer open at the same time. I will answer on the original question and we can close this one.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.
You listed this question at a much lower rate than the first one which is now closed but I will go ahead and answer this question.
First you should ask the landlord for a refund due to the bedbugs as you mentioned. Second if the landlord does refuse, you should send him written notice of the problem to keep for your records (registered with return receipt is what I prefer but personal delivery will also suffice). If the problem is not fixed then you will could bring a suit in small claims court. Per the previous answer, a Missouri appeals court did rule that an apartment owner did not do enough to eradicate bed bugs and must return a tenant's rent. The Missouri Court of Appeals upheld a lower court’s decision and ordered the apartment owner to return the tenant’s rent. More than likely your damages will simply be to return the rent you paid during the time of the infestation. You could also try to bring forward evidence of damage to your furniture and also problems with your health (bug bites) and medical bills associated with the bed bugs. It is more likely than not that the court will only give you damages for rent but anything other damages are possible.
Please let me know if you have any further questions or require any additional guidance. Please do not forget to positively rate my answer (There should be smiley faces or a 1-5 ranking on my answer. I would appreciate a good or excellent rating) as this is the only way that I am compensated for my work.
See previous answer at: http://www.justanswer.com/landlord-tenant/96yr6-extended-stay-motel-bed-bug-infestation.html##ixzz3fmbAijZ9