How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask barristerinky Your Own Question
barristerinky, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 37072
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
barristerinky is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was offerd a room to live in from a friend no charges involved

Customer Question

I was offerd a room to live in from a friend no charges involved when I was looking for a place to rent. A month later he asked me to start paying him rent and I complied by paying him rent, Now 3 months later he is telling me to move out becouse he wants more privacy, Question how much notice am I entitled to in a no rent control part of california,
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
If there is no written lease agreement between the two of you, then you are legally a month to month tenant under an oral lease agreement.
In CA either party can terminate a month to month tenancy with a written 30 day notice specifying the date on which the tenancy will end.
So if he wants you to leave, he has to give you at least a 30 day written notice. If you didn't move within that 30 days, then he would have to file a formal eviction action, called an unlawful detainer, to get a judgment and a writ of possession so he could have the sheriff evict.
This process typically takes about 3-4 weeks after the 30 day notice expires.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions