barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I was offerd a room to live in from a friend no charges involved

Customer Question

I was offerd a room to live in from a friend no charges involved when I was looking for a place to rent. A month later he asked me to start paying him rent and I complied by paying him rent, Now 3 months later he is telling me to move out becouse he wants more privacy, Question how much notice am I entitled to in a no rent control part of california,
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
If there is no written lease agreement between the two of you, then you are legally a month to month tenant under an oral lease agreement.
.
In CA either party can terminate a month to month tenancy with a written 30 day notice specifying the date on which the tenancy will end.
.
So if he wants you to leave, he has to give you at least a 30 day written notice. If you didn't move within that 30 days, then he would have to file a formal eviction action, called an unlawful detainer, to get a judgment and a writ of possession so he could have the sheriff evict.
.
This process typically takes about 3-4 weeks after the 30 day notice expires.
.
.
thanks