Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

ELDERLY self-employed tenant suffered 5 disabling strokes three

Customer Question

ELDERLY self-employed tenant suffered 5 disabling strokes three years ago at office and had to be hospitalized. During hospitalization and rehabilitation landlord locked up premises and
has continued to deny disabled tenant access to retrieve business records and business equipment as well as rehabilitation equipment and tenant's clients personal financial records. Tenant is now relying on social security, exclusively, for income and desiring to jump-start his business.
What help can be done to revive and survive? Is bankruptcy the only answer?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your friend's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
1. Are you saying that the landlord locked the tenant out 3 years ago, has never rented the unit to another tenant, and continues to not allow your friend access to their personal property?
2. Is there still an existing lease that obligated them to pay rent, and if so are they paying rent?
3. What state is this occurring in?
Doug
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. not my friend, but me. tenat was lockedout in 2012, and it has not been rented to anyoneelse. I
first rented and paid my security in 1991. we asked for a new lease and an accounting of the security deposit with interest. no rent paid since i went into hospital.I'm sorry, no one has answered or confirmed.I am in Illinois.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
As you have asked for a phone call, I will offer you that and I will process that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread.
After you accept my offer of the phone call, would you please provide your phone number in the box entitled "Enter private contact info"? After you do that, please send me a quick Reply to let me know that you have posted the number, so I can call you.
Thanks in advance,
Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Do you still want a phone call to discuss these issues?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I apologize,
My phone number is(###) ###-####
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your number, but for me to call you first must accept the offer of the call that I made to you some time ago.
I will make it again in case you have accidentally deleted it.
Doug