Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

We live in leland NC . A gated community. Our landlord said

Customer Question
We live in leland...
We live in leland NC . A gated community. Our landlord said in the "rental ad's" and "lease" that her house was 2800 square feet. We asked her at the time of viewing if the interior was actually 2800S? She said YES of course. We mentioned it seemed smaller. She said indefinitely 2800Sf. I should know I live here. We accepted her word, signed the lease and moved in. IT IS MUCH SMALLER! We cannot get everything in and had to rent a storage unit. (She would only let us see the house at night.)
We have come to find out that she knew that the Hgt/Ac portion of the house was not 2800 sf. She added a 2 car garage (30x 24) (720sf) and a screened porch (17x15)(255sf) into the equation so she could list it as bigger than it actually was. We asked her for a break down of the SF. She said she couldn't find it. Neighbors with similar houses confirm the small SF. What is our recourse in NC?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/8/2015
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. Did you purchase the property or did you rent it? How long ago did you rent?
I mention in my questioned we rented the property. It is in Leland NORTH CAROLINA. Carolina has different Landlord/Tenant laws than most states. ARE U A LAWYER IN NORTH CAROLINA? We rented 1 1/2 yr ago..
Hi, I am not licensed to practice in North Carolina but I am well versed in local codes. If you are seeking solely a North Carolina attorney, please let me know and I will opt out to open your question to others. Otherwise I should be able to assist you myself.
typing is fine. have u read my original question? what are the NC laws governing our situation? The landlord also finds it "difficult" to respond to notices governing home repairs that might cost her any $$$$.
Do we need a litigation attorney?
This is a situation we need to get a handle on today not in 24 hrs. DO WE HAVE TO PAY YOUR COMPANY FOR ANOTHER ATTORNEY???
I am very sorry, but are you seeking me to reply, or an NC attorney? I opted out as I assumed you wanted someone local. Please advise.
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer