Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

I just signed my second 6 month lease......I had state assistance

Customer Question

I just signed my second 6 month lease......I had state assistance this month help pay my rent, three days later landlord text me and said I had until july 30th to be out and return the keys????? her reason, said I cant afford the rent???? can she do this I live in the state of Indiana
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Does the lease provide any language about termination?
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.
Unless there is language included in your lease that allows the landlord to terminate a lease early for any reason then it is likely that your landlords notice is unlawful. In Indiana a landlord must have a valid reason to terminate the lease before the end of the term such as nonpayment of rent or a violation of terms of the lease. There in nothing in the Indiana statutes that gives the landlord the right to terminate the lease for a potential fear of nonpayment.
Indiana code section 32-31-5-6 also makes it illegal for landlord to use self help to evict a tenant so the landlord cannot change the locks or wrongfully not allow you access to the property without going through proper Indiana eviction procedures. You will be allowed to object to the eviction if the landlord tries to force you out and your objection will be heard before the court before you are forced out. With no other reasoning other than potential nonpayment of rent, your landlord has no valid reason for your eviction. He should be able to file a civil claim against your landlord for harassment and unlawful eviction in which you could receive damages.
Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated.
Just checking back in with this question. Please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied.