barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I have a question regarding a situation with my storage

Customer Question

Hello, I have a question regarding a situation with my storage unit landlord and one of her tenants. I got one evening throwing a cup of urine on my door and trying tampering with my lock trying to break into my storage unit. A couple of days prior I came to my storage unit to find the lock unlocked, I am certain I locked. I called the police after the incident I witnessed, as stated above. The sheriffs came and talked to him about it but told me that they could dl nothing about it. He denied all of it. I talked to my landlord and she said that she was afraid to confront him, and refuses to take any action against him because she is afraid of him. He has caused problems another tenant, and they are afraid of him as well. He is emotionally unstable. I have since put up a security camera and changed the lock to my unit. I know that he is continue to tamper with my lock and security camera. What are my rights as a tenant, and what is the responsibility of my landlord to protect me from me. He is also living on the premises in his storage and is forbidden in the contract for lease, but she will not take action to change this situation either. What legal action if anything do I have as it relates to him and my landlord. I feel terrorized by him, as he continues to violate my rights of privacy and security
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
""What are my rights as a tenant, and what is the responsibility of my landlord to protect me from me. ""
.
.
In this situation, the landlord is only legally and contractually responsible for providing you the agreed on storage space. They aren't charged with the duty that law enforcement has with keeping the peace or otherwise intervening.
.
If the other person is harassing you or damaging your property, then you would have to file a formal complaint with the police for the property damage and seek to hold the other person responsible.
.
If you have footage of them damaging your property via the security camera, then you can show that to the police and they can charge him with any property damage and harassment.
.
.
""He is also living on the premises in his storage and is forbidden in the contract for lease, but she will not take action to change this situation either. What legal action if anything do I have as it relates to him and my landlord."
.
.
Unfortunately, if he is violating his lease contract with the landlord, that is up to the landlord to enforce and evict him. But if the landlord refuses to do so, there is no way for you to force him to do so because you don't have legal standing to enforce a contract between landlord and the other tenant because there is no "privity of contract" (you aren't a party to their contract).
.
With that said, you might want to contact any Code Enforcement or Building Inspector and see if they would go out and inspect and cite the person for living there and force them to move out.
.
.
thanks