How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 46
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I just newly signed a lease at an apartment complex. But

Customer Question

If I just newly signed a lease at an apartment complex. But am now needing to move out of town for employment reasons. Is there a way to break this least for employment reasons without paying the 4 thousand dollar penalty they are putting on me for it. ( state of Missouri)
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
did landlord mislead you? can you sublet? can you find a replacement tenant?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no nothing was mislead, I dunno what sublet is and I mean I had a job fall in my lap and have to be in GA by the 22nd. I literally moved in here a week ago.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
If they didnt mislead or breach the agreement, you can find another tenant to take over or find someone to lease from you for the term of the lease (sublease), so someone pays you and you pay the landlord. Is that possible and helpful?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
in the timeframe I have im not sure how realistic that would be or if they would even allow it
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
Legally, that is the only option. Keep in mind that legally, landlord could even hold you liable until it finds a new tenant, or lease ends, whichever is less. Try to find another tenant then with consultation with landlord. I trust the answer is acceptable. Kindly let me know.