Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Can landlord force tenant to pay , repairs to property,

Customer Question
Can landlord force tenant to...
Can landlord force tenant to pay for water, repairs to property, extermination? Single family home.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/3/2015
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 3 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Generally, no they cannot.Check the terms of the lease carefully, in some limited matters, the lease can shift some maintenance obligations (such as pest control) from the landlord to the tenant, but this must be expressly stated in the lease.Courts are very hesitant to shift capital improvements onto the tenants in residential leases and will read these clauses very narrowly. Most landlords are going to be responsible for repairing their own property unless the tenant actually damaged the unit.
What about the water bills and sewage bills. Extermination bills as I asked in my initial question?
Again, this can be shifted based on the lease terms.Many lease agreements do shift the water and sewage to the tenant (these are often upheld as water and sewage use is directly controlled by the tenant (although it is commonly understood that at least part of the water usage is to benefit the landlord through landscape watering).But you need to start with the lease agreement, the landlord cannot enforce anything that isn't in the lease agreement.