How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 2002 my mother Witt Pest Control . She had

Customer Question

In 2002 my mother Witt Pest Control for termites. She had to pay for the installation of the stations surrounding the house and a monthly payment of $31.46. Since then my mother has passed on and I moved in the house, keeping these payments up each month. About 2 months ago, the man that cuts my grass noticed that something was eating away at the shed in the back corner of the yard, so I called and had a technician from their company come out an look at it. He said it was termites eating away at the shed. The technician proceeded to tell me that I would have to be upgraded. He (after calling the office), told me it would be $266.00 to upgrade, taking the old stations out and putting the upgrade in. I told the technician that there were never any stations put around the shed, and why wasn't there any. He also noticed that but didn't say anything.
I called the company and spoke with the manager who told me that would not have been included in the agreement. Why not? To me this is part of the yard/house/property. I ask him to wave the initial $266.00 and I would pay monthly only, for the $32.00 fee. He wouldn't do that. I ask him to send me the original contract that my mother signed. He did. To me, it states that the house, yard, property, is all considered one thing. It is not separated, as he said (the shed being by itself) This is a small back yard. What do you suggest?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
If you cannot resolve the dispute through direct negotiations you can try filing a BBB dispute with them (this is free to you, fast and convenient, the BBB does not have any enforcement authority, but it is a convenient and easy forum for consumers to use a 3rd party to negotiate disputes with businesses). You can open a dispute here: larger claims I could suggest mediation, or even a small claims dispute, but for $266.00 in dispute, it really isn't going to be worth your time (in addition you are going to face an issue of the fact that your mother was the party in interest, not you, giving you a 'standing' issue, only a licensed attorney can represent an estate in court, so if you cannot resolve the dispute informally, or through the BBB, I would have to recommend letting the matter go, you can decide whether you want to continue doing business with this company, or go to one of their competitors).