Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

In NJ, does the landlord have the right to charge the tenant…

Customer Question
In NJ, does the landlord...
In NJ, does the landlord have the right to charge the tenant additional fee for an ESA dog? According to the lease, I need to have landlord's permission to have a pet. And the landlord has the right to charge a pet fee depending on the size of the pet.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
7/2/2015
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Loren, Lawyer
I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you this morning.
A service dog is not considered a pet and can not be subject to add'l fees or deposits. Also, you may not be evicted for keeping a service dog and your lease may not prohibit them.
If you are discriminated against contact the NJ Attorney General's Office.
Thank you.
Thank you for the fast response. I am aware of the service dogs. I am asking about Emotional Support Animal (ESA).
They qualify for the same protection.
Could you forward me official website links on NJ tenant-landlord laws pertaining to ESAs?
I am looking at the law, N.J.SA. 10:5-29.2, and for only deaf, blind, and handicap, service pets are exempted.
Does the dog have any specialized training?
it is an emotional supportive dog. what specialized trainings are relevant for such a dog?
Thank you for the clarification.
If there is no specialized training then it does not qualify for protection from either NJ statute or ADA.
Best regards.
so every ESA doesn't qualify for protection from either NJ statute or ADA, does it?
An animal does not unless it has received specialized training.
IS there any specialized trainings for ESA dogs?
You would need to check locally for that. Try the VA. They have experience with PTSD treatment and for the animal to qualify it would need to have training to assist a specified and diagnosed illness.
Which VA company/organization I should contact? Thank you
http://www.ptsd.va.gov/PTSD/public/treatment/cope/dogs_and_ptsd.asp
I have attached the papers that I was told should be sufficient to show to my landlord. My landlord claims that against the lease he will let me keep the dog at his rental if I pay a monthly pet fee. Does he have the right to do so according to the attached papers?
Unless your ESA has specialized training to perform certain tasks, there is no special protection.
Did you have the chance to go through the papers?
Would the specialized training be mentioned in the NSA registry paper I forwarded to you?
The answer to these questions are important to me.
Thank you
I do not have any further information to add. I have opted out to give you a chance to be assisted by another expert.
Do not respond to this message as it will delay another expert from posting in this thread.
Best regards.