CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

I have lived in my duplex years, I have new landlords

Customer Question

I have lived in my duplex for 19 years, I have new landlords who are raising the rent from $500 to $850, I told them I could only afford $700, they agreed to it for a short period, in the mean time they showed the place to someone else. I received a 30 day notice to vacate. Since I have lived here so *****, *****'t I get a 60 day notice? Also, since the rent was raise more than 10%, shouldn't I have received a 60 day written notice of the rent hike too? I live in Lodi, California. I had just retired and have been looking for a job to supplement my rent.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you are correct.Here is the information on the 30 day/60 day distinction (once you live in the unit more than 12 months you get 60 days): http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/moving-out.shtmlAnd here is the information on rental increases (the law is a little complex, but you have it correct again): http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/legal_guides/lt-2.shtmlThe above links come straight from the California Attorney General, you may want to send them to your new landlord and let them know that you can continue paying your old rent for another 60 days prior to vacating, but that you will not be paying the higher rent, and that you will not be vacating in 30 days as the notice is too short.Make sure to continue keeping everything in writing, but I would look for a new place to live, it sounds like these people are planning raising rent anyway, and while they are doing it improperly now, it isn't too hard for them to reissue new notices and raise the rent correctly to their much higher amount they are looking for, or to terminate your lease correctly, with 60 days notice.