Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I am writing up a "as is" rental agreement with an ag

Customer Question

Hello, I am writing up a "as is" rental agreement with an agency and need to ensure this is legal in CA.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.
1. Are you the landlord?
2. When you say with an agency, are you saying this will be a commercial lease as opposed to a residential one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am the owner of the property and will be renting residence to a nonprofit agency helping veterans with transitional housing.
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.
In residential leases there is an implied covenant of habitability. The California State Housing Laws and various local housing codes require the landlord to keep a dwelling in good condition in accordance with specified structural, plumbing, electrical sanitation, fire and safety standards.
In non-residential leases, the landlord is not under any implied obligation to make repairs or to maintain the leased premises in a tenant-able condition. In the absence of a specific covenant obligating the landlord to maintain or repair the premises, the tenant is deemed to have taken the premises in “as is” condition.
It is my opinion that leasing to an agency would not change the nature of your duties as a landlord since the end user is a residential tenant. However, I am not finding anything that would confirm my opinion.
Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. If you would rather obtain a refund of your deposit, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer.