How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 102143
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The house I live in was foreclosed, I am living there with

Customer Question

the house I live in was foreclosed, I am living there with my wife and 3 children looking for a new place not able to find one what are my rights what should I do can they put me and my family in to the street the bank owns the property now please advice
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) If you receive a phone call offer while we chat, know that this is an automated test feature the site is running. Due to possible ethical issues, the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I normally decline them. Unless the phone call offer you receive literally states "THIS OFFER IS FROM ELY" (which means I personally initiated it), please do not entertain any such offer; and (C) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am very sorry to hear about this situation. If the foreclosure had already occurred, then I am afraid you may not like my answer. Regardless, please tell me if the bank has sent you a "notice" to leave the property, or not yet?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
a notice was send to the landloard it has there name and it says JOHN DOES I BELIVE IT IS REFERING TO US
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
dated 6/17 time given is 7/7/15
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
I am afraid that there is little that may be done. Once a foreclosure happens, the owner becomes a "tenant at sufferance" in the home. This means that they are there At THE DISCRETION of the owner who purchased the property via the foreclosure, which is often the very bank that held the mortgage.
As such, they MAY evict a tenant, and before they do, often send a notice of 30 days. The best that may be done here is to contact the bank, and ask them if one can possibly perhaps PAY RENT for a few months until another place to move to is found.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions