Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Our home is full of mold..electrical issues.. leaking roof...

Customer Question
the landlord is well aware...
our home is full of mold..electrical issues.. leaking roof... the landlord is well aware of the issues...parked a trailer in driveway for four monthes to use for repairs which were not done..and has now showed up without notice and wants to ripe walls and ceilings out and repair roof...telling us that we have to not be present while repairs are being done... what can we do as tenants about this...we have small children that are here on weekends and can not afford to stay in a hotel as well as pay rent...plus storage fees for our belongings..there are many issues ongoing with this landlord that are unresolved
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
6/23/2015
Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 3 years ago
retireddebra
Is the landlord providing alternative premises?
they want us to stay in a trailer with no ammenties
Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 3 years ago
The law is that your landlord owes you a duty of care and the landlord is legally obligated to keep your home in good repair.When the landlord fails to do so you could actually apply to the Landlord Tenant Board for an order is that he make the repairs and for a rent abatement.At this point it sounds like he is planning to make the repairs. If he doesn't make all of them then please remember that you have this legal right.In terms of where you will stay, there is no doubt that the landlord is required to provide you with comparable premises to live in and at no cost. So you do not have to stay in a trailer with no amenities the fact landlord must provide you with a rental unit that is comparable to your home or else he has to put you in a hotel and pay for the hotel and also pay for any food for dining out.Let me know if that answers your question.
yes it does thank you
Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 3 years ago
You are very welcome.