How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 56903
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I rented a condo in Hollywood Florida back in April and the

Customer Question

I rented a condo in Hollywood Florida back in April and the owner has not sent me my $500 deposit that she indicated she would do once i returned her keys (which i promptly did)... I have text messages and an e-mail from her indicating she would return the deposit which i included in my rental check... i sent her a check for $3,000 and the rental agreement was for $2,300 plus $200 cleaning fee... she was texting me right along when i was in her condo as we had issues with the air conditioning, which did not work the entire time we were there. I spent many hours of my vacation waiting for electricians to show up to look at the air conditioning unit, which the owner insisted worked, but the electrician told me that he had told this woman she needed a new unit last year! She should have given us money back on the rental, but i'm not even asking for that. I am just asking her to give me the $500 deposit she promised to return... it has now been 2 months since our return from vacation. i have called her and texted her numerous times, but she has completely ignored my contact. I live in New York, she lives in Connecticut. how can i get my money back from her.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
How much are you owed in total at this point? does he have a job?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
$500 us owed to us. I have the text from her on which she stated she would return our money whdn we returned the keys. Which we promptly did. I. Relieved she is a realtor. Do yes she does have a job.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
You could pursue in small claims court
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
Normally handled in county where defendant residesconsider an out of court settlement and a payment plan to save on travel time/expense.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how can i do the small claims court? and can i charge her the fees that i would incur by doing this?

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
You fill out a complaint with clerks office.
You can charge interest and costs. and are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or higher.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions