LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

My teenage daughter and I have resided in a 2 BR apartment

Customer Question

My teenage daughter and I have resided in a 2 BR apartment in Huntington Beach, CA, for 9 years... I've never missed a rent payment nor complaint from the management or other tenants. I received a 60 notice to move this morning and I can't fathom the reason. What are my rights?
Hans Anter
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good evening,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
I am sorry to say that because Huntington Beach is not a city with a rent control law, and because CA law allows a landlord to evict any tenant after giving a 60 day Notice to Terminate Tenancy, you don’t have any specific legal right to stay in the property unless you can work something out with the landlord.
The law will require that you relocate if you do not abide by the 60 day notice and the landlord files an Unlawful Detainer action against you.
I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.
If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.
Kindly take a moment to rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided. Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation.
Thank you,
Doug