How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Licensed in multiple jurisdictions. Experienced Landlord-Tenant attorney.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

One of my tenant under rent control had a fire because she

Customer Question

One of my tenant under rent control had a fire because she left something burning in the oven that I had replaced a year ago. There are quite a bit of damages in the apartment. Can I pass the expenses to the tenant?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
Yes, you can, provided that you can prove and show that she caused the damage. A tenant, even a tenant under rent-control, has a duty to keep the premises habitable and not damage the premises. If premises are undeniably damaged by the tenant, the landlord in that instance can force the tenant to cover costs for repairs and replacement.
Dimitry, Esq.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions