Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I live in Pennsylvania and have been served an ejectment notice…

Customer Question
I live in Pennsylvania and...
I live in Pennsylvania and have been served an ejectment notice on the house I recently lost through foreclosure. How does an ejectment differ from an eviction and will I also be served an eviction notice? Lastly, how many days will I have to move everything out once an eviction notice is received? Thank you.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
6/19/2015
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I am a licensed Pennsylvania professional and will do my best to assist you with your concerns.
The difference between an eviction and an ejection is typically one of semantics. An 'eviction' is removal of someone with a lease from the premises. An ejectment is removal of someone without a lease, or someone who occupies the premises without a right from the landlords. Since this was a property you owned, this is an ejectment as you never signed an agreement to lease the property. Under PA law once a notice is given, you have 10 days to vacate the premises:
Rule 517. Notation of Time of Receipt; Service of Order for Possession.
The magisterial district judge shall mail a copy of the order for possession to the defendant by first class mail and shall deliver a copy of it for service to the sheriff of, or any certified constable in, the county in which the office of magisterial district judge is situated. If this service is not available to the magisterial district judge, service may be made by any certified constable of the Commonwealth. The officer receiving the order for possession shall note upon the form the time and date that it was received, and shall serve the order within forty-eight (48) hours by handing a copy of it to the defendant or to an adult person in charge for the time being of the premises possession of which is to be delivered or, if none of the above is found, by posting it conspicuously on those premises. The service copy of the order shall contain the following notice:
(1) For nonresidential leases:
If you, and all occupants of this property not authorized by the owner to be present thereon, do not vacate this property within fifteen (15) days after the date of this notice, the law authorizes me to use such force as may be necessary to enter upon the property, by the breaking in of any door or otherwise, and to eject you and all unauthorized occupants.
(2) For residential leases:
If you, and all occupants of this property not authorized by the owner to be present thereon, do not vacate this property within ten (10) days after the date of this notice, the law authorizes me to use such force as may be necessary to enter upon the property by the breaking in of any door or otherwise, and to eject you and all unauthorized occupants.
The date of the notice shall be the same as the date of the service.
Official Note
Under this rule, service must be made both by first class mail and delivery for service in the manner prescribed. The differing lengths of notices set forth for nonresidential leases and residential leases are made necessary by reason of the 1995 amendment to Section 513 of the Landlord/Tenant Act. See Note following Pa. R.C.P.D.J. No. 515.
Amended October 17, 1975, effective in 90 days; April 25, 1979, effective in 30 days; June 30, 1982, effective 30 days after July 17, 1982; March 27, 1992, effective June 25, 1992; March 28, 1996, effective March 29, 1996; amended December 15, 2000, effective January 1, 2001.
Source
The provisions of this Rule 517 amended through June 30, 1982, effective August 16, 1982, 12 Pa.B. 2266; amended March 27, 1992, effective 90 days from the date on which the Order is signed, 22 Pa.B. 1893 and 1900; amended March 28, 1996, effective March 29, 1996, 26 Pa.B. 1691; amended December 15, 2000, effective January 1, 2001, 30 Pa.B. 6882. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (212915) to (212916).
Hope that helps clarify!
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.