How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 7404
Experience:  Attorney 35 years extensive and active real estate practice; represents both landlords and tenants
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a home care worker who was barred from the person whom

Customer Question

I am a home care worker who was barred from the person whom I care for apartment building. the both of us was in the landlord's office to complain about bird dropping on his terrace. (a lot of it). They wanted to know who I was and I told him. He said he did not have to talk to me. My client was there with me. He was nasty to me and he told me he was going to put me out of the building. I was given a key card to access the building by the landlord. He and the manager accused me of living there(I do not.) He called the police to have me barred from the building which he said I was confrontational. The police told me I had to Leave on the spot. Could not assist my client. Had to leave him there. was that lawful?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
Yes it was lawful, because the police ordered you to leave. If you had refused, you would have ended up in jail, or worse. Your employer may consult an attorney in order to seek a court order to require the landlord to let you in the building. The landlord might be in violation of the lease by preventing access to a caretaker. Whatever the problem is with the landlord, it is up to your employer to solve it. There is nothing you can do, because you have no standing in the law with regard to the right of access to the building. I hope that this information is helpful and provides good guidance for you