Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

If you have a freeloader that won't leave and the police say…

Customer Question
If you have a freeloader...
If you have a freeloader that won't leave and the police say they can stay, by pa law can I turn off the electric to make their life hell?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
6/15/2015
Lawyer: Christopher B, Esq, Attorney replied 3 years ago
Christopher B, Esq
What do you mean by freeloader? Do you mean a squatter that you have never signed a lease with or given permission to be living on your land?
We don't have anything called 'squatter's rights' in the United States. Squatters are trespassers and they have no rights during their period of trespass. In the traditional common law a person could obtain title to property through use. The common law has been codified under state and federal statutes. Under the various state codes, a person must use the land for a certain number of years, without permission and right out in the open for all the world to see. If the owner does nothing he or she is considered to have abandoned the property and the adverse possessor can claim the land. The method of claiming by adverse possession varies from state to state. Some states require only that a notice be recorded in the land records. Other states require that an action be brought in a court of equity and if the plaintiff can prove his case the judge issues a court order that establishes title in the plaintiff. If a person uses or lives on another person's land with permission, no matter how long, they are barred from making an adverse possession claim. The time period required in Pennsylvania for an adverse possession claim is 21 years. I would not recommend you turn off the heat or air to knowingly cause someone pain. If I understand you correctly, the "freeloader" should not be allowed to stay on your land and the police in this case are wrong unless I am not understanding your question. If it is a roommate that is not paying rent or someone that has been living with you with your knowledge, you might need to properly evict them in order to get them off your property.
Please let me know if this fully answers your question, if so please positively rate my answer.
I see you have viewed my answer if you do not have any further questions and you feel that I have fully answered your question, please positively rate my answer.
It has been a few days since I provided you a service and answered your question. Do you have any further questions? If not please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated.