Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

Need help getting the rest of my ex-common law husbands personal

Customer Question
belongins out of his apartment...
need help getting the rest of my ex-common law husbands personal belongins out of his apartment. He passed away in the apt, the property manager for the apts found him and called 911. I am the person of emergency contact and they got a hold of me ,went there needed verbal confirmation from next of kin said the officers there...I called his only son who just recently moved to the west coast of florida we are on the east coast of florida...he called me back and they confirmed I could have permission to take care of everything...he did come for few hours to help w/ memorial and cremation arrangements had to go back...I started cleaning out apt ...2 days later prperty manager changed locks on me and pulled stack of paperwork off the internet...because no will wants court document for me to enter apt...i did get a noterized statement from son but he doesn't want that...I don't have the money to get an attorney, neither does his son who has a wife and 2 children....he provides for....was also told he was not supposed to enter the apt for 60 days either,and he did....I am stuck between a rock and a hard place I don't know what to do...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
6/15/2015
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
1) Did he leave any documents that name you as the Executor of his estate?
2) Is your son willing to provide you with something in writing that gives you the right to enter the property?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer