How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 117404
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I cannot seem to establish whether my apt at 118-60 Metropolitan

Customer Question

I cannot seem to establish whether my apt at 118-60 Metropolitan Ave, Kew Gardens, NY (Apt 3G) is rent stabilized or not. I have paid modest rent increases since moving in in 1999, but was told I had to sign a lease in May (with a back date of March) for $300 a month more, an increase of 22%. My building dates back to the fifties and has well over 6 units. I believe some of the units are rent stabilized, as I thought mine was, even though many of the units were converted to co-op after 1989. The Department of Housing has not been of much help. How do I determine for certain whether I am rent stabilized or indeed have to sign a "so-called" free market lease raising my rent from $!,350 to $1,650? Also, I am 66 and living on a modest fixed income. Does not Scrie protect me from rent increases if I am past 65? Thank you for your time. Elizabeth English
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You said you contacted the department of housing, but did you contact the NYC Rent Guidelines Board, who handles rent control (, as they would have a record of all rent control and rent stabilized apartments in the City.
Before SCRIE protects you, it must first be determined you are in a rent controlled or stabilized apartment and if you are 62 you can freeze your rent. See:

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions