Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I'm in california and the owner just sold his house that I…

Customer Question
I'm in california and the...
I'm in california and the owner just sold his house that I have lived in for 4 years and gave me a 30 day notice. Did he have to tell me that it was listed before he opened Escrow
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
6/14/2015
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
A landlord does not have to tell a tenant when he is selling leased property, because the sale does not impact the lease at all. The lease transfers to the new owner. See Cal. Civ. Code, Section 1950.5. If you have a lease for a set term, you're allowed to stay until the lease is up.
If your lease expired and you are a month-to-month tenant, the landlord legally must give you 60 days notice because you've lived there for more than one year. Cal. Civ. Code, Section 1946.1. That 30 days notice is invalid.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.