Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

As a renter in Michigan do I have the right to ask my landlord…

Customer Question
As a renter in Michigan...
As a renter in Michigan do I have the right to ask my landlord to show proof that my security deposit has been placed into an escrow account. The house I'm renting is being sold.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
6/12/2015
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LandlordTenantAnswer
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. Yes, you can ask the landlord to show proof plus there were things that should have been done when you gave it to them. I say this because the security deposit remains the tenant’s property, but is held by
the landlord for the term of the lease to ensure that the tenant pays the rent due, pays the utility bills, and returns the rented property in
proper condition, as required by the lease.
To require you to pay a security deposit, within 14 days of your moving in, a landlord must inform you in writing about both the name and address of her business and the financial institution where the security deposit will be held, and also, in large type, about your responsibility to provide a forwarding address within 4 days of moving out to ensure your rights under the law
Now, if your case if the if the landlord sells the rental property, he
or she remains liable with respect to the tenant’s security deposit until any ONE of the following occurs:
a) The landlord returns the deposit to the tenant, OR
b) The landlord transfers the deposit to the new owner and sends notice—by mail—to the tenant informing him or her of the new owner’s
name and address, OR
c) The new owner sends written notice of their name and address to the tenant AND the name and address of the financial institution where the deposit is held AND the tenant’s obligation to provide a forwarding address
within 4 days of terminating occupancy.
As such, you can ask for proof or speak with the landlord about compliance.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney