How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Licensed in multiple jurisdictions. Experienced Landlord-Tenant attorney.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Minnesota and have been renting a house to a lady

Customer Question

I live in Minnesota and have been renting a house to a lady for 3 months. I never received rent for June and tried to contact renter via phone calls and text message. I went to the property today and it appears to have been abandoned, however all of the belongings remain in the home. There is good still on the table, which is rotting. Also the bathroom light had been left on. I called my water company to see when water was last used and had been told there was no use since June 3rd. I do not have a lease with the tenant since the house in on the market to be sold and we go on a month to month basis. At this point what am I able to do? I worry about the condition of the home being left as is. The home is extremely dirty inside from neglect and there is animal feces and urine in the front porch carpet. I have no idea how to find this woman and need to move forward.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Renting to her for 7 months*Food on the table*
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
You are stuck in a bit of a tough situation. Since she did not for June, you can claim that the property is abandoned and re-enter. What you can do is enter based on the state of the unit and attempt clean-up if the conditions are so appalling--I would suggest getting that on video just in case. Then you can charge her security deposit for the service,and if you want her out, give her notice (by putting it under the door) that you are terminating her lease. Please keep in mind that under Minnesota law she is entitled to a full period's notice (meaning 30 days), so her lease would end at the end of July but if she abandoned the premises you can claim that you are mediating damages by taking over the property to make it habitable again. here is the link below:
If she fails to pay for July, you can then re-enter, claim abandonment, and take over the property.
Dimitry, Esq.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions