Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
7286322

We invited my stepdaughter and her boyfriend in to stay in

Customer Question

We invited my stepdaughter and her boyfriend in to stay in a house that we are currently renting. We live in a development with an HOA. They are not on the lease as tenants Our landlord received complaints from neighbors that they were disturbing the peace. The landlord met with us and informed them they had 7 days to vacate due to the HOA s threat of fines. Do they have the same rights as regular tenants. They have been there 6 mos. They do not pay any form of rent. Do we have to give them 30 days notice.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. I take it that the landlord KNEW and APPROVED the non-paying sub-lease that you created with her and her boyfriend.
Do they have the same rights as regular tenants.
Yes, they do. However, regular tenants may also be evicted for disturbing the peace.
They have been there 6 mos. They do not pay any form of rent.
That means that they are (sub)"tenants at sufferance" (in NC this term is also mixed with "tenancy at will"). This is the weakest form of tenancy when someone allows someone else to live on the property. This is at the will of the actual controlling party, meaning you. They can be asked to leave at your discretion.
Do we have to give them 30 days notice.
A notice is not required in NC for a tenant at sufferance, although it is recommended to do - at least 3 days.
If you do not comply, the landlord may then try to end the tenancy (meaning both yours and theirs).
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.