How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 116727
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My property is in an LLC, can I sue rent in small claims cour

Customer Question

My property is in an LLC, can I sue for back rent in small claims court in NY myself?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Even though typically an LLC must be represented by a licensed attorney in NY, one exception to that rule is in small claims court. In small claims court the owner/member of an LLC may represent the LLC in a legal matter and can sue for damages. So if you are owed back rent and are able to go to small claims, you may do so on your own without legal representation.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions