Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My property is in an LLC, can I sue rent in small claims cour…

Customer Question
My property is in an...
My property is in an LLC, can I sue for back rent in small claims court in NY myself?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
6/10/2015
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Even though typically an LLC must be represented by a licensed attorney in NY, one exception to that rule is in small claims court. In small claims court the owner/member of an LLC may represent the LLC in a legal matter and can sue for damages. So if you are owed back rent and are able to go to small claims, you may do so on your own without legal representation.