Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I've lived in an Brooklyn apt years and the new owners

Customer Question
I've lived in an Brooklyn...
I've lived in an Brooklyn apt for 9 years and the new owners of my apt building is evicting me. I have my rental history and it's all fraud and inaccurate. He also has entered without my permission, started unregulated construction, unfinished repairs, harassing and bullying me, and has given me false notifications. He wants to buy me out, how much can I sue him for?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
6/10/2015
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
If the courts agree that his eviction is retaliatory and illegal, you could seek up to 3 times the monthly rent as punitive damages. Typically you cannot demand more as that is considered to be a limitation on liability.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
3 times of the amount of the rent for every year I've lived there?
No, you are entitled to 3 times your monthly rent. If your monthly rent is $1000 a month, you can request up to $3000 as damages.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.