How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 13864
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A woman said I molested her son, who lived with me and my room-mate.

Customer Question

a woman said I molested her son, who lived with me and my room-mate. My room mate died in January and she started saying these things in Feb. She states I did these things while she lived with us, and she knew about it but did not say anything till after my room mate (her father in law) died. She said I was doing these things @ 9 months prior to his death. I can't get a job or anything. What can I do? I don't want to be arrested. I didn't do this
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Slander question. Did not molest child
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Daughter in law lived with us, with her two sons. My partner died in Jan. and in Feb. she started saying I was molesting her son for the past 9 months. She states she knew about it the whole time she stayed with us. I keep waiting for the police to press charges or something. I can't get a job. I didn't do this. Help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't afford an attorney. Should I speak with the police?
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
Slander is not a criminal act, but a civil cause of action, so speaking to the police will unfortunately not do you any good, they will not be able to help you.
Under Florida law, the elements of a defamation claim are:
the defendant published a false statement;
about the plaintiff ;
to a third party; and
the falsity of the statement caused injury to the plaintiff.
Normally, the hardest part of a defamation claim is the injury, or damages a person suffered. Defamation cases are not something many lawyers take on unless there is a potential significant financial reward, I'll be honest. That is one reason why defamation lawsuits are often seen with public figures, such as celebrities, suing tabloids -a fake headline could easily cost a celebrity millions in movie and television deals, endorsements, etc.
Assuming you could still prove that you are not being hired for jobs because of the statement(s) made, the loss of possible income isn't going to be a large enough amount of damages. Other things that may go along with a defamation claim -such as embarrassment and hurt feelings --are not something a court can compensate a person for at all.
Please understand, I am not telling you these things to discourage you. By all means, this sounds like something that you should discuss fully with a local attorney before making any decisions. If you contact the Florida Bar Association at 1***-***-****, they can help find you someone in your area.
As an aside, I know you are nervous about a possible arrest, but if this was reported to the police, they would have to investigate the matter more fully. Part of that investigation would be to do a physical exam of the child, who would not show any type of evidence of sexual abuse. Therefore, if the mother cannot support her claim, the investigation would likely go nowhere.
Should you need any further information or clarification, please use the REPLY feature, and I'll be happy to assist. Thank you.